Certified Foresight Practitioner
Driving business results with foresight.
Certified Foresight Practitioners (CFPs) are equipped with the foundational ideas and tools of the Natural Foresight® Framework, embodying the futurist mindset and understanding the value of futures intelligence in their respective field. CFPs are able to conduct trendspotting, horizon scanning and pattern-making that informs future scenarios and impacts business results.
Who may apply?
TFSX Alumni are best positioned to successfully pass the assessment based on their immersive training experience in the Natural Foresight® framework. However, anyone is encouraged to apply if they meet the required eligibility factors below.
Please note that there is an application review process (inclusive of a non-refundable fee) to determine eligibility to sit for the CFP assessment.
Eligibility Factors Considered:
- Completion of a 4-year degree OR a minimum of 2 years of professional experience. (required)
- Prior foresight training from an approved program/institution. (required)
- TFSX Programs: Foundations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Accelerator), Activations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Activator), Transformations of Natural Foresight®, Futures x Design
- TFSX / Kedge / The Futures School Consulting Engagements
- LBL Strategies’ Mastering Foresight: Scenario-Based Planning Bootcamp
- University of Houston’s Certificate in Foresight 5-day program
- Institute for the Future 3-Day Foresight Training, Coursera Futures Thinking Specialization (online), or Scenario Building Course (live-online)
- Metafuture School: Become A Futurist – Futures 101 (Sohail Inayatullah, online)
- School of International Futures 5-Day Retreat
- Oxford Scenarios 5-Day Programme
- Geneva Centre for Security Policy Strategic Anticipation – Strategic Foresight (Tools and Techniques for Planning in Uncertain Times / Planning for Impact in Uncertain Times
- Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies – Applied Strategic Foresight
- Foresight Master’s Degrees: University of Houston, College of Technology MS in Foresight (Technology); Ontario College of Art and Design (Strategic Foresight and Innovation); University of Turku and Finland Futures Academy. MS, PhD in Futures Studies (Econ. and Bus. Admin.); University of Stellenbosch, Econ & Mgmt Sci. and Inst. for Futures Research. M.Phil, PhD in Futures Studies (Econ/Mgmt); Regent University, DSL in Strategic Leadership, Strat. Foresight Concentration (Bus. Admin.); University of Hawaii at Manoa, Dept. of Pol. Sci. and Hawaii Research Ctr for FS. MA, PhD in Alternative Futures (Pol Sci); University State Arizona, College of Global Futures, MS Futures and Design
If a program you attended is not listed, or you are an educational/training provider who would like to be considered for inclusion, please contact us at email@example.com
- Explanation of purpose for pursuing professional foresight certification. (required)
- Membership in a professional foresight (or related) association: APF, WFSF, WFS, FFCOI, Futures Space, PRIMER/Speculative Futures, IDC / IDSA, etc. (preferred)
A Certified Foresight Practitioner candidate must sit for a multiple-choice assessment during one of the established online testing windows.
Testing Window and Deadlines
Dec 1 – Feb 15
(Applications accepted until Dec 15)
May 1 – July 15
(Applications accepted until May 15)
how am I evaluated?
- 50-question, online, multiple choice assessment covering the fundamentals of Natural Foresight®
- Exam must be completed individually in one sitting during a 60-minute time frame
- An 80% or higher is required to successfully pass the exam
- Pass/Fail result will show at the conclusion of the exam
How do I prepare?
The Guide to the Natural Foresight® Framework is the Professional Foresight Certification Body of Competency and Knowledge, and the official study guide for the Certified Foresight Practitioner exam. Anything in the Guide may appear on the assessment.
- TFSX Live-Online Program (recommended): Attend TFSX’s 3-Day Foundations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Accelerator) or online, 6-month Activations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Activator) to put Natural Foresight® into practice. See program options here. Then, reinforce your learnings by studying The Guide to the Natural Foresight® Framework.
Options Suggested for Non-TFSX Alumni:
- my.TFSX On-demand Foresight Certification Prep Course (recommended): You’ll gain details about the designation and assessment, study tips, clarification on more challenging concepts, additional practice questions, and access to a community of others pursuing the exam. All of the information in this self-guided course will supplement the official study material, The Guide to the Natural Foresight® Framework. Study for your exam anywhere you want with the support of this curated content.
- Independent Review of the Guide: Read The Guide to the Natural Foresight® Framework and direct your own study plan to pass the exam.
On-Demand Foresight Certification Prep Course
Access to additional resources and study tips for 6 months!
Process & fees
How to get certified?
- Complete the appropriate application by the testing window deadlines.
If you have attended a TFSX learning event, complete the TFSX Alumni* application. If you have not, complete the General application. A non-refundable $50 USD processing fee will be due at the time of submission.
- Conduct an interview.
If your application has been accepted, TFSX will schedule an interview with you to further discuss your purpose for pursuing certification, eligibility, and assessment details.
- Submit the assessment fee and study.
TFSX will collect the assessment fee ($400 for TFSX Alumni, $850 for General Applicants). Then, you are responsible for studying The Guide to the Natural Foresight® Framework via one of the methods listed above.
- Take the assessment.
When the testing window opens, you will be provided instructions on how to take the online assessment.
Application Processing Fee
Successful candidates will be notified and provided with a link to pay and register for assessment.
Physical receipt of study materials is subject to additional printing and shipping fees.
*The following TFSX programs are eligible for the TFSX Alumni pricing: Foundations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Accelerator), Activations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Activator) , and Futures x Design.
How to stay current?
Professional Development Requirements to Remain Credentialed and Build Your Futures Capacity
The Certified Foresight Practitioner designation is valid for three years.
Three Options to Remain Credentialed
- Earn 30 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) before your 3-year certification period expires.
– Below is a chart of all of the activities that count toward recertification credits. Review the max allotments for approved recertification methods.
– Submit a recertification package (using designated templates) prior to the end of the certification term. Individual forms and/or a recertification packet will not be accepted without the recertification fee of $250.
– Prior to pursuing, gain approval or seek further clarification from TFSX regarding qualified programs, offerings, or content as well as the number of PDCs awarded.
- Retake the Certified Foresight Practitioner assessment before your 3-year certification period expires.
- Pursue the next level in the Professional Foresight Certification pathway, Certified Foresight Influencer, if eligibility criteria are met and your 3-year CFP term has not yet expired.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDIT (PDC) OPTIONS
No Overall PDC Maximum
Advanced/Additional TFSX Programming:
PDCs will equal the number of educational hours in the program
Including but not limited to:
- Foundations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Accelerator) (15 PDCs)
- Activations in Natural Foresight® (previously Applied Foresight Activator) (15 PDCs)
- Transformations of Natural Foresight® Retreat: Reframing the Human Experience (15 PDCs)
- GFAC Live! (1 PDC per webinar)
- Submission of a Year of Free Tuition Nomination (1 PDC)
- my.TFSX asynchronous courses (PDCs vary)
Approved Strategic Foresight Training Programs:
15 PDCs max – see below for program specifics
- LBL Strategies’ Mastering Foresight: Scenario-Based Planning Bootcamp (15 PDCs)
- Institute for the Future 3-Day Foresight Training (10 PDCs); Institute for the Future’s Coursera Futures Thinking Specialization (10 PDCs); Institute for the Future’s Scenario Building Course (5 PDCs)
- Metafuture School: Become A Futurist – Futures 101 (10 PDCs)
- University of Houston’s Certificate in Foresight 5-day program (15 PDCs)
- School of International Futures 5-Day Retreat (15 PDCs)
- Oxford Scenarios 5-Day Programme (15 PDCs)
- Geneva Centre for Security Policy Strategic Anticipation – Strategic Foresight (Tools and Techniques for Planning in Uncertain Times / Planning for Impact in Uncertain Times (15 PDCs)
- Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies – Applied Strategic Foresight (15 PDCs)
- Other programs must be pre-approved by TFSX in advance of attendance
10 PDCs max – each session attendance/recap counts for 2 PDCs
- Focus Areas: Foresight, Emerging Issues, Trends, Future of a field, Unconscious Bias, Narrative/Story, Design/Design Thinking, Innovative Strategy, Systems Thinking, and Beyond
- Summarize connection between the conference content and foresight.
- Approved conferences include PRIMER, Speculative Futures, World Futures Society, International Design Conferences, Association for Professional Futurists events, Association for Strategic Planning Conference, Society for Human Resource Management Conferences, Association for Change Management Professionals Conference, Association for Talent Development Conference, and Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Conference.
- Other conferences must be pre-approved by TFSX in advance of attendance.
15 PDCs max – must have a strong connection to foresight and be pre-approved by TFSX
Advance the Application of
Foresight to Your Profession
No Overall PDC Maximum
24 PDCs max – 8 hours per presentation, 3 presentations max Must gain pre-approval before from TFSX before pursuing this option
- Create and deliver a presentation that integrates foresight into your expertise.
- Participants of The Future Speaks program will also receive these credits.
20 PDCs max – see below for specifics
- Write a 500+ word blog post/article integrating foresight into your expertise and publish on a third-party site. Or, contact TFSX for publication on its blog through The Future Writes program. (5 PDCs for each piece)
- Conduct primary foresight research that may or may not become published in a journal. (20 PDCs max dependent on the rigor of the research)
- Participate in the Association of Professional Futurists Emerging Fellows Program (20 PDCs)
Organizational Foresight Project:
25 PDCs max
Must gain pre-approval from TFSX before pursuing this option. PDCs will be determined based on the project details
- Engage in a work-related project that embeds elements of the Natural Foresight® Framework and toolkit.
5 PDCs max – 2.5 PDCs per association membership
- Approved memberships include: Futures Space, Association for Professional Futurists, World Future Society, FFCOI, and World Futures Studies Federation.